MT4N Info?

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
nivaj

MT4N Info?

Post by nivaj »

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought an El Degas MT4N. I don't know very much about the the different guitar models but I was hoping you guys would be able to tell me about this guitar that i have. I've googled a bit and it seems like El Degas is quite an obscure brand.

Thanks in advance!
charles
Site Admin

Re: MT4N Info?

Post by charles »

The MT- models are copies of Martin acoustics. If you have a photos of the headstock & sound hole label I might be able to tell you the country of manufacture (or the sound hole label may have it listed).
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
nivaj

Post by nivaj »

Thanks! yes the label says its made in Korea
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Let's see some pics!! :mrgreen:
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

nivaj

Post by nivaj »

As requested
Image Image
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Very pretty - enjoy it! :D

aseeno

Post by aseeno »

I also have this guitar. It's missing the ferrules in the head stock and the saddle on the bridge. Anybody know what I should be looking for in terms of replacements? I've been out of the game for a long while and looking to get this guitar back to acceptable playing standards. any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that it's a copy of a martin so should I be looking at martin hardware? thanks
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

aseeno wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:12 am I also have this guitar. It's missing the ferrules in the head stock and the saddle on the bridge. Anybody know what I should be looking for in terms of replacements? I've been out of the game for a long while and looking to get this guitar back to acceptable playing standards. any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that it's a copy of a martin so should I be looking at martin hardware? thanks
By ferrules do you mean the tuners, or the nut? For the tuners you will probably want to check out import ones (so they will be set up/measured in metric) and see if you can match the originals' screw location for a nice clean replacement.

You might want to take this in to a local guitar shop / tech / luthier and see what they can do to help. You could probably have a saddle & nut shaped out of the material of your choice (bone, Tusq, etc.).

Best of luck.

aseeno

Post by aseeno »

Thanks for the reply brother. I meant the tuner ferrules. It probably would be best to bring it in. Once I have it all taken care of I'll post pictures. Looking forward to getting it up and play worthy
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi and welcome.

Have you lost all of the ferrules? Unusual, but they can loosen up and fall out over time as the head stock wood dries a bit.

The posts are likely 10mm diameter which is fairly standard, and you may be able to find ferrules to fit them on eBay or Amazon. If not simply replace the tuners. This style is still readily available and cheap, and should match the screw hole layout exactly.

A replacement saddle is also easy to find. I'd recommend bone (or Tusq if you want to spend money) for best tonal response. Plastic just doesn't do much.
While you're at it, consider a (bone) nut replacement too if it looks worn.

In both cases be prepared to do some sanding and final fitting. You'll likely not find a simple drop in.