The Great Guitar / Gear Show -part deux

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
charles
Site Admin

Re: The Great Guitar / Gear Show -part deux

Post by charles »

I'm also working on the case-storage issue. I am actually running to Cdn Tire today to investigate peg/hooks to try to organize them better. I currently have 14 cases.

I have 9 basses, 16 guitars, and 2 acoustics - luckily between my string swings and 9-guitar stands (x2) they stay somewhat organized and out of harm's way.

And then there's the synth, amp, and drum kit I have to contend with... :shock:
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Update:
Here's what the 1981 Vantage Avenger AV310 looked like when I bought it:
Barry wrote:...All ready for clean up and restoration:
And here's how the restoration turned out:
ImageImage

Oh, one more:
Westone Spectrum DX --1985
ImageImage
ImageImage

I am weak.
mikedem

Post by mikedem »

How did I miss this thread?
First thoughts ....WOW - what a collection!
That refinish job on the Avenger is simply amazing - what a great job and I love the new colour.

I am going to bookmark this threads and the one with Charles collection so when I get heat from my wife for buying guitars I'll refer to these threads. I'll look like a light weight compared to you guys. :mrgreen:
Barry

Post by Barry »

mikedem wrote:...I am going to bookmark this threads and the one with Charles collection so when I get heat from my wife for buying guitars I'll refer to these threads. I'll look like a light weight compared to you guys...
Um, thanks...I think. 8)
Barry

Oo-p-p-s! I did it again!

Post by Barry »

This time a beautiful flamed maple top 1982 Vantage VE-550 Entertainar (sic).
It's of course, a Matsumoku machine, MIJ. And it was supposed to be a replacement for my Epiphone Studio LP, but...number 21 :wink:

mikedem

Post by mikedem »

Nice!!! It would be sad to see you kick kicked out of the house just before Xmas and all....maybe hide that one for a while. :wink: :lol:
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

That's NICE
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Well...the GAS continues kids. What can I tell ya, I'm a sick puppy.
In the last couple of months I picked up two more guitars, number 22 and 23; one is brand new, the other is a "rescue" project :roll: .

'07 VINTAGE VEC380 Acoustic Electric
This is my second Vintage brand instrument, and I've really become a fan of these guitars. This one is New Old Stock and a bit of an usual configuration; it is normally seen as a nylon (classical) model but this one is steel strung and sounds amazing! Flamed maple back and sides, cedar top, ebony fretboard, and Shadow 5 EQ preamp.
Image Image Image

'82 ARIA PRO II URCHIN U60T
I picked up this one after a somewhat horrendous life in the hands of someone who had no idea what he had. He tried unsuccessfully to install a Floyd Rose trem, drilled post holes,then realized it wouldn't fit! Also made a mess of the headstock when he also drilled all kinds of holes in an effort to install a string clamp! the guitar was never designed for this stuff so the end result was a disaster and structural weakness.

Here's what it looked like when I got it:
Didn't look too bad...from a distance!
Long story short, the original guitar colour was black paint, and it turns out this gray paint was hiding a ton of problems, including several layers of paint, stickers(!), and evidence of a previous break at the neck pocket! Here are a few pix of the break down, the paint stripping, and the headstock mess:
Image Image
Image Image

This is still a work in progress as I write this. Here's the current state after 2 coats of gray undercoat and the first coat of Butter Creme colour coat:

And the headstock is better but still not ready for prime time:

If you're interested in following the progress you can plug in here: http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewto ... =11&t=6058 It's a long thread with lots of pictures and commentary.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Nice job so far on that Urchin.

Another fine guitar saved from the firewood pile and made good again!

Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Charles.
Still a way to go yet but it's starting to look more "finished" than fried! :mrgreen:
Even in its horrible received state with lousy setup, holes, holes, holes everywhere, weakened headstock, and chewed up bridge saddles, she still sounded good!
What a testament to Matsumoku design and quality build. Can only get better!
mikedem

Post by mikedem »

I must say you do some awesome work when you refinish a guitar! I prefer to play with the electronics and hardware , but have 0 patients for fine finish and paint work like that.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mikedem wrote:I must say you do some awesome work when you refinish a guitar! I prefer to play with the electronics and hardware , but have 0 patients for fine finish and paint work like that.
Cheers for that Mike. :)
Believe me I wouldn't do it if it wasn't necessary! It isn't exactly the most fun I can have with my pants on, ya know?

Really, this is the only way I can afford to indulge my GAS. One of these in good original condition can fetch in the high hundreds $$$ or more. I'm typically picking up these poor babies for between $100-150. (I got a great Westone for $75!)

In the end, ya get out what ya put in, and it's really gratifying to know that you are playing a vintage baby that would have otherwise ended up as toothpicks.
Barry

The Great Guitar / Gear Show -part deux

Post by Barry »

Well, it's been awhile since I've updated this thread. :mrgreen:

ARIA PRO II URCHIN 60T
Still not too much progress on the Urchin I'm afraid, the headstock repair is just about done though. I had another look at what I thought was a previously tight crack at the neck pocket. I guess the humidity or something exaggerated the hairline crack to expose it for the actual fracture that it was! So, back to the old drill and screws to reinforce it before continuing. I've finished that repair and filled and sanded the holes but the weather has just not cooperated in order to continue spray painting...too hot, too humid, too windy, too rainy, too cool, or all of the above. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it.
You can click on the link in the original post above to follow the progress and see the actual repair.

New Additions!

VINTAGE V100 MRPGM "LEMON DROP'
As some of you may know, I'm a big Vintage fan and this now makes 3 of them that I own. I have lusted after this guitar for awhile now but couldn't afford it at the list price of over $700! Then one day a miracle happened. My son's guitar teacher, who is also the local Vintage dealer emailed me with the news that he was clearing out his top end stock, and at a healthy discount! Long story short, I ran not walked, to his studio and grabbed it at a $250 savings, taxes included!
Now she's mine, all mine! :twisted:

You can read the technical details here: http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageiconguitars.html Scroll about 2/3 down the page.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

This is just an amazing guitar to play, and feels just like the neck on my '64 Gibson; thin and fast. And the sound in the mid position is pure Peter Greene/Gary Moore. Outstanding!

ARIA PRO II TA-60
I got really excited when I saw the ad for this one in London (about a 2 hour drive from me!). I thought I had asked the appropriate questions and had convinced myself via the serial number that this was a Matsumoku (Japanese) made guitar. When I got there I looked her over, and when I looked at the back my heart sunk. She was MIK! Damn! I asked every question but the obvious one, "Where was it made?"

Again, long story short, I bought it anyway. She's beautifully made and not a mark on her, and she cleaned up beautifully:
Image Image Image Image

The only issue was a reversed bridge pickup and needing some adjustments. I also discovered that the original pups had been replaced at some point and then "reinstalled" hence the reversed bridge. I also discovered that the wiring had not been soldered! The wires were just dry twisted with piece of tape over top, which was falling off.
Morals of the story:
1. Ask where it was made before you go get it!
2. Always check the wiring!
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Looks like they were writing the great American novel on the headstock there, Barry! :wink: :lol:
Nice-uns.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Yeah, that comment has been made before. I don't know what on earth possessed them to do that, but it's a hold over from the MIJ 80's to make the MIK's more authentic looking I guess. Kind of a "tradition" now with Aria. :mrgreen: