Debating an El Degas Strat

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
THRobinson

Debating an El Degas Strat

Post by THRobinson »

Hey guys... I know the name El Degas, never owned one though nor do I know a whole lot about them apart from some are good some are plywood...which still may be good but you know what I mean.

Anyways... been eyeing a Strat copy, seller says maybe '70s. Has the Strat shaped headstock, the exposed bullet truss rod, maple neck with skunk stripe, headstock painted to match the body, and made in Japan stamped on the neck plate. Pickups (SSS) not sure if original, look like Dimarzio with the Alan key style holes instead of solid metal poles.

Any ideas what it is? Good, bad, no idea?

I did notice that the input jack was not only backwards, but, zoomed in, there's no actual jack/plug it's just a hole. Kinda weird.

Barry

Re: Debating an El Degas Strat

Post by Barry »

That's a very nice Strat copy and fitted case, and I would say it's a Made in Japan build, complete with brass nut which is typical of the era.

Many late 70's and early 80's el Degas models came with Di Marzio super distortion humbuckers but I don't know if the single coils were also DM's. I'm sure they'll sound just fine.

As for the input jack housing, that's no problem to reverse it. The previous owner may have turned it around to avoid having the amp cable hang down. Tucking the cable behind the strap at the button makes it more secure from accidentally tripping over it and ripping out the connection while on stage.

Most players don't bother changing the input jack's orientation, but there's nothing wrong with doing it.

If the actual input jack appears to be missing, the retaining nut has likely worked its way loose and the assembly has simply fallen inside the cavity.
No problem. You can reassemble it when you take the housing off to reverse it. If it is in fact missing (unlikely) it's easy to solder a new one in place. No worries there either. I'd buy it!! :D
THRobinson

Post by THRobinson »

Ya, some basic repairs are fine, I have a few full restorations on the go... just thought it weird that the guitar plays fine when it has no jack. Guess no testing it with an amp unless I bring a screw driver along.

Was debating it... I have a few Squier SE's, how do these ElDegas compare to a Squier? or MIM or MIA Strat? Any good? Better? Same?

If bought, I'd probably swap the knobs and 5way switch tip to cream to match the pickups, and brass saddles and vintage style tuners. Nothing too crazy but just enough to make it appear a bit nicer (IMO)
Barry

Post by Barry »

The input jack has likely lodged itself just under the metal housing. It's bizarre that the owner hasn't fixed the thing!
As much as I like most Squiers I would expect this build to be superior to a Squier. The Japanese builders of this era were superb craftsmen.

If the knobs are brass I would not change them, nor would I change the saddles. Brass nuts and saddles were fairly standard at the time and offer a very distinctive tone to the guitar. I wouldn't try to remake it in the image of a Fender, accept it as it's designed.

The stock tuners are usually OK but if you use the tremolo a lot, perhaps locking tuners would add some more stability.
THRobinson

Post by THRobinson »

From what I can tell the knobs are chrome painted plastic... brass woulda been nice... would rather cream Fender style, or brass knurled.

Tuners... I have enough guitars on the bench tat I'll find a home for the originals, if original even... would rather a nice set of vintage style Gotohs. I have a few sets of Gotohs and a Gotoh trem and gotta say I like them. Not the most expensive but they work and the finish is nice.

Bridge... hard to say what's there... or what the trem block is. I have 2 Squire SE's, and they're very good after a proper setup, but the trems aren't good at all. Cheap chrome pot-metal and the block is just enough for the springs to hold onto. I replaced one with a USA Fender Trem for $35CAD and the other I grabbed a GFS brass block and just so much better.

Anyways, that would be something to look at when/if I go... price seems a bit high still, he's dropped the price once... ElDegas in this area (Ontario) isn't overly popular or common, so hoping no one takes interest and it drops again. 1h20m drive so, that's a factor.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Gotoh was (and still is) the standard for tuners and bridges on many of the Japanese guitars particularly builders like Matsumoku.

Yes, the Squier trem block is rubbish but I think you'll find that the ED should be beefier. And yes, if the knobs are cheap plastic trash 'em!
There are lots better around. :)