MT13K

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Egbertgirl

MT13K

Post by Egbertgirl »

Does anybody have any info on a MT13K el Degas acoustic ? Anything would be greatly appreciated!
charles
Site Admin

Re: MT13K

Post by charles »

Hi, thanks for posting and sending me an email - I'll answer you here.

Because serial numbering information does not exist (and the brand eventually abandoned using serial numbers altogether), getting a specific year of manufacture is impossible (except for cases where you are the original owner and have that info from when you bought the guitar - I have seen it happen :) ).

If you have photos of the guitar including the head stock logo & sound hole label, it is easier to tell what "era" the guitar is from. You may have already noticed whether the country of manufacture is listed on the sound hole label. This is the best way we have of making an 'educated guess' as to the era of manufacture. It is generally believed to be true that MIJ (Made in Japan) models span from the very late 60s to the 70s, and the MIK (Made in Korea) models (or models manufactured in Romania, Guatemala, etc) are from the 80s.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have other questions.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

In regards to the model number, the "MT-" prefix denotes that this is a Martin copy.

The "13" denotes the model type (we've yet to determine how the numbers in this part line up with what Martin is being copied, as some of the Martin copies seem to be replicating several Martin models or an amalgamation/reinterpretation of several Martin characteristics).

The "K" should apply to the finish color (I've seen models with different colors/sunburst options using the last digit to denote the specific color option).
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

Made in Korea .. how do I post pics here ? I've never been in a forum before lol
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

Thank you for all your help that was pretty easy after all :)
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Very interesting - I don't think I have ever seen that head stock logo style (which is normally attributed to MIJ models featuring more 'deluxe' finishing or features) on a MIK model.

Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

Well I like to hear that :) .. I think we might have found a hidden gem as I or my boyfriend can not find info on this particular model !
3tequila

Post by 3tequila »

Yes I was thinking the same about the head stock because all logos ive seen is vertical ?
Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

This makes me even more excited !! We picked it up for $250 with case , it's got a slight bridge pull but we know a great luthier to fix that issue, it sounds absolutely amazing ! It's a beautiful guitar
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

3tequila wrote:Yes I was thinking the same about the head stock because all logos ive seen is vertical ?
I have seen a few different logo styles on the MT- models, including one style that emulates the vertical Martin logo. Usually, I'd expect to see a decal logo on a MIK but this one looks to have bucked that trend.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Congratulations, you have a very beautiful guitar build there. Looks to be all Mahogany which will indeed sound very sweet!

I can't tell from the pictures but you said the bridge is lifting? If the actual bridge has begun to pull away from the sound board then that is a relatively easy repair and worth the money to do. Actually it is a good thing. The worse alternative is for the sound board to be pulled up behind the bridge causing a "bulge" and high action. That is very problematic and sometimes cannot be repaired.

If you are lucky all that will be needed is a neck adjustment, or perhaps a saddle adjustment. I also notice that the nut has a couple of chips in it. It should be replaced at the same time. Your repair man will likely recommend that. If you can, use a bone or Tusq replacement for improved tone.
Egbertgirl

Post by Egbertgirl »

Thankyou Barry , unfortunately there is a slight bulge and high action , but our guy is the best in the area , worth the money to get repaired we think. To me though it doesn't effect the playability, we tuned it half step down to relieve the tension a bit , but I'm willing to sink some money into it as its beautiful sound wise and looks ! Thanks for your input :)