MT4N - pricing?

El Degas Marketplace
Albinozz

MT4N - pricing?

Post by Albinozz »

Hi all, I happen to have MT4N guitar, made in Korea. As I'm no guitarist I consider selling it. Degas is almost unknown brand in my country but the guitar is in great shape (only a few scratches and a little bit torn varnish) and has quite nice sound - so I'm thinking of maybe shipping it abroad.

Therefore I have some questions (I searched the forum, but maybe missed sth):
- Do you have any idea how long Degas MT4 were made? Late 80s? Were Degas made only in Japan in the 70's?
- What are the prices of MT4s these days?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Btw, I found it very entertaining to search for information about the brand - it's tough work and feels a little bit like solving a mistery! :D
charles
Site Admin

Re: MT4N - pricing?

Post by charles »

It is believed:
  • El Degas instruments were made in Japan throughout the 1970s.
  • The Korean models are believed to have started around the 1980s, possibly coinciding with B&J Music being sold to Kaman Music.

Pricing of these instruments is pretty tough to pin down:
  • These instruments are 30-50 years old and therefore might be of a wide range of condition.
  • The brand is not well known, and therefore not as sought after as others from that time period.
  • The Korean models are less sought after than the Japanese-made ones.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Albinozz

Post by Albinozz »

Thanks for the response - info about Kaman Music was particulary interesting :D
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

B&J Music is now part of another company (no longer with Kaman) but the name escapes me at the moment.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

Barry

Post by Barry »

charles wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 am B&J Music is now part of another company (no longer with Kaman) but the name escapes me at the moment.
B&J is now part of JAM Industries
https://jamindustries.com/markets/musical-instruments/

A few years ago when I worked at the guitar shop I contacted JAM concerning any info they may have had about B&J and the el Degas brand. We were a customer of theirs at the time so I thought I might get somewhere. I got nothing. :?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

B&J is so far removed from the old NYC days that I'm not surprised to hear that.