My first El Degas, Bought today. Red 70's P bass

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
SoulSurgeon

My first El Degas, Bought today. Red 70's P bass

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Hi guys,

First time poster here. This is my first day in the world of El Degas instruments.

I thought I'd post the ad from the bass I bought a few hours ago. Just finished playing it and have had a blast. What value!

charles
Site Admin

Re: My first El Degas, Bought today. Red 70's P bass

Post by charles »

Congrats on your first El Degas! :D
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

I can't put it down!

More pics to come soon...my wife is a pro Photographer.....going to have her snap a few for me after I clean/polish it up.

Great site by the way Charles.
SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Update on this El Degas P Bass.

This is my regular gigger. I've made thousands playing this. Easy to play, great tone, great feel.

I should get it setup again soon. I've got flatwounds on it. Smooth clear vintage tone.

The only thing I don't like: I guess because its older hardware, old Dimarzio pick-ups, when I mute my notes, the pick-ups tend to put out a "pop" sound. I've had bandmates and audience members complain a bit about that. I have to dial down my treble, turn off-tweeters on amp, and pluck strings way down near the bridge to combat that....which is not where I usually like the rest my hand.

I've been playing this bass for 2 years now. I think it's time to upgrade to something more Pro.

It's been a great sweet ride. I totally recommend this bass and I will be looking to buy more when I see them come on the market.
sambonee

Post by sambonee »

It's the pickups man. I put a set of MJS pickups in my degas bass and it's the very best bass I have ever heard period.

That Smitty from MJS has had his business got to 50% of his shipments move Over to bass pickups in like 2 years. They're not cheap ($179 per) but man I swear that there's little that comes close to the clarity.

If you love that bass so much think about it.
SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Ok, I will look into it. Still vintage tone etc?

Update Sasmbonee. I checked out their website. http://www.mjscustompickups.com/product ... -style.htm

Are these the ones you are talking about?

Style 1
•Clean Classic Warm Sound
•Medium Output
•Alnico2 or Alnico5 Magnets
•Vulcanized Fiberboard Bobbin Construction
Style 2
•Clean Classic Sound with Extra Punch
•High Output
•Alnico5 Magnets
•Vulcanized Fiberboard Bobbin Construction
SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Just an update on this bass.

I joined this band earlier in the year.

http://www.memphismudd.com (FYI)

I got a smoking deal on a Godin Shifter 4 Classic, Crème Brulee. $600 @ 0% interest on 6 months financed! Last payment comes out this month.
You can see the bass in my profile pic.

P+J setup in the style of an old Tele bass...roundwound strings on it though. Its in getting warranty work on it right now, so I am using my back-up bass...the Classic El Degas P Bass...LOVE it. Miss it. Did a show with it on Saturday night.

I am thinking about getting another ED P Bass as a back-up (playing bigger shows these days, can't go to gig with just 1 bass). Only, I think I want to mod it. Ie. New/better pick-ups. Possibly a Fret job. I don't want to chop my current red one...too sentimental.