Looking for more info on my El Degas electric guitar

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
djorbitt

Looking for more info on my El Degas electric guitar

Post by djorbitt »

I've been searching the internet for more information on the El Degas I have. It doesn't seem to have a model or serial number but I've seen similar pictures of it on this site and a few others. The one closest to it was an El Degas SG and it was listed as a ridiculous price of $666,666.00 ummm yeah I wish :lol: The guitar is in next to mint condition and I'm not sure how to actually post pics on here but if someone could help me with that I'd be glad to show off my El Degas :wink: If you have any info, have any idea of it's value or just wish to comment...feel free, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Dave
djorbitt

Re: Looking for more info on my El Degas electric guitar

Post by djorbitt »

I think I've figured out how to add pictures so here goes...

If this doesn't work, you can see the pictures at photobucket. Here are the direct links...

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 ... 006718.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 ... 006719.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 ... 006720.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 ... 006722.jpg
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I fixed your img links

Looks to be an early El Degas SG copy (I've seen reports that early MIJ copies have the rounded fingerboard at the body joint)

I had an El Degas SG copy just like that (sold it this year). Yours looks to be very mint!

If you are wanting my opinion of what you could get for it and would like to keep it private, please PM (private message) me.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

djorbitt wrote:I've been searching the internet for more information on the El Degas I have...The one closest to it was an El Degas SG ...if you just wish to comment...feel free, I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum.
Man, you have an outstanding SG clone there, looks like it just came off the sales floor! :D

You didn't mention whether you've had it for years or just purchased it. Any juicy historical details are always welcomed by the El Degas perverts here. :mrgreen: (As you've found out, it's hard to try and pinpoint the manufacturing date on these buggers!)

How's she play and sound? Outstanding I'm thinking!
Thanks for the pix.
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
djorbitt

Post by djorbitt »

Barry wrote:
djorbitt wrote:I've been searching the internet for more information on the El Degas I have...The one closest to it was an El Degas SG ...if you just wish to comment...feel free, I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum.
Man, you have an outstanding SG clone there, looks like it just came off the sales floor! :D

You didn't mention whether you've had it for years or just purchased it. Any juicy historical details are always welcomed by the El Degas perverts here. :mrgreen: (As you've found out, it's hard to try and pinpoint the manufacturing date on these buggers!)

How's she play and sound? Outstanding I'm thinking!
Thanks for the pix.
hey Barry ,

I am happy to hear you like the condition and pix of my El Degas ,,, Charles im sure was drooling too :lol: . Theres not too much of a fascinating history on my El Degas though . It was owned by a good friend of mine in the late 70's - early 80's and it was the first guitar i played , he began teaching me to play on it . I thought it had great sound and was very easy to play ( same reaction from others that picked it up as well ) . Later in the 80's he sold the El Degas to me with its original case and a Traynor TS-10 amp , oh lucky me :D . The only thing I changed on it was the tuning pegs cause the originals tuned out easy ( still got originals in a box ) . In the early 90's I went out to buy my first "new" guitar , a Samick acoustic ( which also still looks next to mint ) and my El Degas went into storage in my attic for around 15 years . This January i moved out to Saint John NB from Hamilton ON and of course the El Degas made the move as well . When I am not around it I always think its an old outdated axe , but when I open the case and play it , oh man ,,, awesome !!! And like you said Barry " looks like it just came off the sales floor " , I think the same way when I see it .

Im glad to have shared my pics with this forum and to hear some nice comments about it .

Peace

Dave
paulywood

Post by paulywood »

I have almost the same guitar and it has a Serial number on the plate. It is 52. Does this mean anything?
I am also interested in the value.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

paulywood wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:04 pm I have almost the same guitar and it has a Serial number on the plate. It is 52. Does this mean anything?
I am also interested in the value.
Unfortunately no serial number information gives us any info - the system was either not used widely or the information has been lost to time (or both). The bolt-on SG copies are believed to be mainly 1970s Japanese models.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)